Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: at my wits end !!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:28 am 
IP:

Hi
I am new here so 'hello'
I have a pair of bassets, one bitch called Bliss and a boy called Bobby. They are 4 and 3 respectivly and can be a normal stubborn pair at times.
But the barking is driving me mad !!!
They run around the house like nutters having fun and generally being ok, thieves, snuggly, whinging, nosey etc..
But when I put them outside they bark and bark constantly. Bobby will even bark when playing with toys out there. This is annoying the neighbours and me. They have to go out there during the day to give me peace! But then they bark.
I have tried the spray collar but that did nothing to help and I didn't like it anyway. I shout and that pleases them ! I try to ignore and that doesn't do it either.
I have a westie as well and he has always had a problem since we rescued him of peeing in the house. last night he peed in their bed and they all were soaked this morning, what the hell can I do?? I really am at my wits end and close to re-homing, but I love them so much.
PLEASE HELP X
Tracy x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 pm 
IP:

Hello Honey123
The only suggestion i can give for the barking, is to try an electronic bark collar. I have tried the spray collars, and can say that i personally feel that they are a joke. Electronic collars will provide a momentary shock to the dog when it barks. I will warn you that your dog may yelp when it cycles, but dont worry, it is more scared than hurt. The collar does not provide enough shock to injure the dog only to get its attention. it will soon learn that it happens when it barks and stop barking.
I recommend if you try this, be sure to let the dog wear the collar for a few days with it turned off, or it will figure out the collar is whats causing the shock. if this happens as soon as the collar is taken off it will start barking again

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com