Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:34 pm 
IP:

Hi -
We have a five month old basset and have been working on potty training her. We are crate training. When we give her some freedom...she goes in the house still. Is this a normal amount of time to take for a basset. Or, are we doing something wrong? Our last dog was a lab and was potty trained really really early. We knew bassets are slower, so have been prepared for this, but just want to make sure we are doing it the right way.
Sheri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:17 am 
IP:
Site Admin

http://www.bassetsunlimited.com/forum/v ... .php?t=118

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 am 
IP:

Dont worry keep at it Flash took about 8 to 9 months to house train and still has accidents at 2(not very often thank god!!!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:30 pm 
IP:

kurk is 15 weeks old and i had him for about a week. Me and my girl friend arent going to crate train him. I have already potty trained him. I just told him good boy and made him feel loved everytime he went outside. now he only pees in my room between 1am and 5am once. maybe try that way? it worked for me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 am 
IP:

It took probably about three months total for us. He learned really quickly and was potty trained within the first month but relapsed a few times due to changes in schedules. He does really well now and has not had an accident in probably six months or more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:39 pm 
IP:

Help! I'm new to the forum and I'm pulling my hair out!! I've had my Basset for six months (he's now a year old) and he's still going in the house. I've successfully trained many dogs to pee on command and I'm doing the exact same thing with Watson but it's not working. Basically, I take him out and when he pees I go beserk with the praise. I really go overboard and let him know he did a great thing. But crate training and frequent trips outside haven't worked so far. What's up with this! How is it that a dog (a young one at that) can take so long to potty train? Do they eventually get it or am I fighting a losing battle?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:28 pm 
IP:

I have a one year old Basset, Watson. I got him as a Christmas present. For 6 solid months I've been potty training him. He will go as long as 2 weeks sometimes without an accident, but then BAM!! I have successfully trained a lot of other dogs to pee on command (which always amazes everyone) so I have confidence in my ability to train. It's just that Watson is a doofus. Yes, I know, everyone likes to say that Bassets are stubborn and that they will do it "when they're ready". Phooey!! Watson is a friendly, happy, lovable.....AIRHEAD!! He just isn't getting it! Six months of potty training? Oh please!! I've had to go way back to the basics with him. This has just GOT TO WORK 'cause I won't put up with daily pee clean ups....no way!! So to respond to your post: it appears to be a big problem with Bassets. I read somewhere that most Bassets take 9 months to a year to potty train. Lucky us!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:26 am 
IP:

My suggestion would be make sure you take him out a lot, always have treat with you, and praise and treat when he goes outside. Try not to give him any attention when he goes inside. If you catching him going inside, a sharp no, just to get him to stop and then take him straight out. If he goes more, treat and praise.

I've owned a lot of dogs and I use to breed beagles many years ago, I have had one dog that I just could not train. She had to be kept in a heated garage with a dog door so she had access to the outside at all times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:23 pm 
IP:

keetagirl wrote:
I read somewhere that most Bassets take 9 months to a year to potty train. Lucky us!

our Dinky, and Reubie took 1 week to house train, from 8 weeks old they went clear till 10 weeks old, took them on holiday in the caravan for a week not one dirty!!!! came home and what did they do! pee the floor :roll:
after that NO more accidents!

At the moment we are house training Minnie, we've started it since last Saturday (when our last puppy, Mr.Darcy went) so far...she's had 2 pee accidents, i expect there will be a few more....but my moto is.....
PERSIVERENCE IS THE KEY :D

Rabbit Stew anyone???!!!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 am 
IP:

well i also heard bassets take awhile to housebreak,luckily I am home all day so our little girl is rarely crated.

what we have done is we bought babygates and have gatex off all areas with carpet. Fred is allowed off leash in the kitchen only (easy surface to clean accidents). We set a timer for 20 minutes and take her out when the time goes off, when she goes outside we praise her like crazy and tell her "good potty" As she gets a little older we'll increase the time on the timer.

using this method we have only had one pee accident so far and we've had her two weeks. Granted your pup's a little older but if you keep it up and are more stibborn than your basset she will get it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm 
IP:

My Bella is 8 months old...and it took us about 2 weeks to potty train. Have not had any messes in the house since.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:28 pm 
IP:

It really varies, they are really smart, but can be really stubborn..

Our last basset was the best dog we every had for house breaking, we got her at 12 weeks and she was trained in 3 days.

Our current two we got at 11 weeks and they were almost trained in a month, fully trained by the time they were 6 months old. They are now almost 8 months old.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:21 am 
IP:

We've had Daisy for about 2 weeks, and she is very good about going when we let her outside. I think she knows that the grass is the place to do it, but doesn't realize that inside is NOT the place to do it, if that makes sense. When she does go inside, are we supposed to be doing something, like saying "no" sternly, or something? How do we get it across that inside is not the place to do it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:22 pm 
IP:

pilotirene wrote:
We've had Daisy for about 2 weeks, and she is very good about going when we let her outside. I think she knows that the grass is the place to do it, but doesn't realize that inside is NOT the place to do it, if that makes sense. When she does go inside, are we supposed to be doing something, like saying "no" sternly, or something? How do we get it across that inside is not the place to do it?

That doesn't always work with bassets, unlike a lot of other breeds, they don't always have that desire to please their masters, they are more about attention, rewards and pleasing themselves. Try to make a big deal when the do something right, and give them as little attention as possible when they do something wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:01 am 
IP:

pilotirene wrote:

we only say no when we catch her in the act (squatting or about to), we immediately rush her out and if she potties outside we praise her. We also don't let her watch us clean up her mess. Saying no when she is "in the act" will break her concentration and get her to stop long enough to get her out, however my friend's great pyr could care less and will continue pottyi.ng.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com